Funding for the Riawunna palanawina Accommodation and Living Allowance Scholarship is provided by the Federal Government to assist Indigenous students with costs associated with university study. The objectives of the Riawunna palanawina Accommodation and Living Allowance Scholarship is to:
- assist Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Year 12 students to achieve their full potential through education
- redress the significant levels of educational disadvantage amongst rural and urban ‘at risk’ and poor young Aboriginal people in Tasmania
- address retention rates in Tasmania and encourage disadvantaged students to continue their education, from high school to college and onto university.
The Riawunna palanawina Accommodation and Living Allowance Scholarship will provide Year 12 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students with one-year on-campus accommodation and credit towards meal expenses for the first year at the University of Tasmania to encourage students to complete university study.
Rent and credit towards meal expenses will be paid directly to the University’s Student Living department.
Available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students who are completing Year 12 in Tasmania in 2020 and who must move away from home in order to commence full-time study in an undergraduate degree in the first half of 2021.
Applicants must demonstrate the following:
- that they need financial assistance to continue onto further education;
- are likely to be successful in University if given support and encouragement; and
- that they participate in Aboriginal activities and events within the Aboriginal and School Community.
IMPORTANT: Applicants who apply for this bursary MUST meet the Commonwealth definition of Aboriginality to be eligible. The Commonwealth definition of who is an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person is as follows:
- is of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent;
- who identifies as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person; and
- is accepted as such by the community in which they live.
To retain this award, recipients are required to achieve a minimum Pass result in all units studied each semester.
$12,000 per year. The scholarship will cover the on-campus accommodation costs in a single room at one of the Halls of Residence in either Hobart, Launceston or Cradle Coast each year for up to four years (length of the degree) . To be eligible, students must apply for accommodation with University Accommodation Services http://www.utas.edu.au/accomm/future-residents/apply and cover the application fee and bond (these costs are NOT covered by this scholarship).
If the cost of accommodation is less than $12,000, the balance of the scholarship will be paid towards a meal allowance card.
The scholarship will be paid directly to Student Living on behalf of the successful recipient.
Up to four years (length of the degree)
14 January 2021
Apply online prior to closing date. Applications cannot be submitted after closing date. As applicants will be assessed on the quality of application, all questions should be answered in full. Please ensure care is taken with spelling and grammar.
Closed. Not awarded.